With the challenges brought on by the covid-19 pandemic, war, political instability, recession, inflation, supply issues, etc., many people are feeling more stressed. In addition, we also have our other personal issues such as family problems, situations at work or school, illnesses, etc. In an effort to fight or respond to feeling stressed some persons may develop anxiety.
Symptoms of Anxiety
Common symptoms (https://psychology.org.au/for-the-public/psychology-topics/anxiety)
of anxiety include:
- Difficulty concentrating
- Rapid heartbeat
- Trembling or shaking
- Feeling light-headed or faint numbness or nausea
Theoretical Definition of Anxiety
The American Psychological Association (APA) defines anxiety as an “emotion characterized by feelings of tension, worried thoughts and physical changes like increased blood pressure” (https://www.apa.org/topics/anxiety). The APA also notes that persons with “anxiety disorders usually have recurring intrusive thoughts or concerns. They may avoid certain situations out of worry. They may also have physical symptoms such as sweating, trembling, dizziness or a rapid heartbeat”.
Calming Your Anxiety
Apart from seeking help from a licensed therapist or medical doctor, persons with symptoms of anxiety can try at-home remedies. These include:
- Relaxation exercises such as yoga or pilates
- Calming teas such as chamomile
- Relaxing music such as jazz, opera, classical, etc.
- Calming sounds such as raindrops (https://youtu.be/TsRgQuud3Sk), waterfalls, birds chirping, etc.
- Doing Art (even as simple as colouring a picture)
- Weighted blankets
- Nature walks or jogs
- Adequate rest
- Limiting social media use
- Calming night lights
- Listening to a relaxing podcast or story
- Sleep masks for eyes (https://a.co/d/4OX1xkI)
- Soothing colours for home decor such as light shades of blue, grey, white, etc
- Designated sleep area
Things to Avoid
- Electronic devices with bright lights at bedtime
What’s your favourite relaxation technique?
© 2022, Stacy-Ann Campbell. All rights reserved.